What to Submit for a Potentially Successful Application
Make your application stand out in a crowd
We seek companies with extraordinarily high potential across the healthcare sector, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer health, health tech, and health data science.
Our selection criteria include:
- Conducting transformational science and/or technology
- Targeting a significant, unmet medical or market need
- Demonstrating a strong team and financial solvency
- Aligning with Johnson & Johnson’s strategic areas of interest or adjacencies
To make an informed evaluation, please submit the following non-confidential documentation:
- Background explaining your science/technology, highlighting focus areas
- License and/or IP Coverage
- Audience: Who are your customers or who will you help?
- Landscape: What differentiates you from competitors?
- Team bios
- 12-18-month project plan & milestone map
- Funding sources and/or partnerships
How to determine the right JLABS model for your company!
Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS Sites:
Our Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS owned and operated sites offer everything startups need to get up and running on day one: state-of-the-art labs, specialized equipment, and office and collaboration space. Beyond a place to grow, Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS member benefits include access to entrepreneurial programs, vital industry connections, partner network opportunities and mentorship. Each site also includes a virtual conference room to link resident companies to the vast network of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies and experts across the globe. Value-added offerings, such as operational support delivered by Johnson & Johnson Innovation and active Resource and Investor Hubs help position resident companies for success.
At JLABS, we value great ideas and are passionate about removing obstacles to success to help innovators unlock the potential of their early scientific discoveries. JLABS is a no-strings-attached model, which means entrepreneurs are free to develop their science while holding on to their intellectual property.
- JLABS @ San Diego
- JLABS @ SSF
- JLABS @ TMC (Houston)
- JLABS @ Toronto
- JLABS @ BE (Beerse, Belgium)
- JLABS @ NYC
- JLABS @ Shanghai
- JLABS @ Washington, DC
JLABS Affiliate Sites: Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS has teamed up with other top-tier incubators in key regions to bring select residents at their locations the benefits of Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS in addition to their own on-site offerings. Member companies have access to both Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS and Partner Site benefits including access to education, expertise and extensive funding and partner network opportunities. The affiliate party owns and operates their site, and the application processes for both run in parallel.
- JLABS @ MBC BioLabs (San Francisco, CA & San Carlos, CA)
- JLABS @ LabCentral (Cambridge, MA)
- JLABS @ M2D2 (Lowell, MA)
JPOD Sites: Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS has partnered with other research hubs to create a “JPOD” connected to the greater life science ecosystem. The JPODs function as virtual incubators, providing access to the Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS vast healthcare innovation network; opportunities to potentially engage with Johnson & Johnson Innovation deal teams; and connection to the broader global network of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies. Each JPOD provides access to a J&J networked virtual conference room to connect to internal locations of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies around the globe. JPOD Companies are included in the global Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS family.
- JPOD @ Philadelphia (Pennovation)
- JPOD @ Boston (CIC – Cambridge Innovation Center)
BLUE KNIGHT™ is a joint initiative between Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS and the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), a component of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. This collaboration aims to stimulate the innovation and incubation of science and technologies that may improve health security and response by supporting companies focused on public health threats and emerging infectious diseases.
BLUE KNIGHT™ offers physical residency at select Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS (‘JLABS’)locations, as well as a virtual engagement option. Physical residency is available at:
- JLABS @ Washington, DC, the hub Blue Knight location with a dedicated footprint for selected companies
- Additional JLABS locations in Houston, New York City, San Diego, San Francisco, and Toronto
- JPODS and Affiliate Sites in Boston, Philadelphia and San Francisco
Blue Knight companies will have access to the JLABS ecosystem, including modular lab units, office space, shared core laboratory equipment and business facilities based on the availability at the location of residency, as well as intangible offerings outlined below. Benefits unique to Blue Knight companies include:
- Fee assistance for certain costs associated with access to JLABS equipment and resources, which will be covered by BARDA.
- Dedicated equipment for Blue Knight companies will be available at select JLABS locations.
- Blue Knight residents will receive dedicated mentorship from the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies and BARDA in mutual areas of interest.
- Throughout the year, BARDA and JLABS will co-sponsor programming customized to the needs of Blue Knight companies, aligned with key areas of interest in infectious disease, public health emergency preparedness, and company acceleration.
- companies will be invited to participate in annual symposia designed to convene the Blue Knight community with thought leaders, innovators and entrepreneurs.
Blue Knight companies will be selected based on certain criteria, including exhibiting compelling, credible science and/or technology; strategic alignment with Johnson & Johnson and BARDA areas of focus; addressing a significant unmet need; and demonstrating a strong team and financial solvency. Blue Knight applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis by a team of Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS reviewers in consultation with BARDA.
QuickFire Challenge: Interested in applying to be awarded one of our open innovation challenges? Please check out our QuickFire Challenge page to discover the latest opportunities: https://jlabs.jnjinnovation.com/quickfire-challenges.
Johnson & Johnson Innovation’s QuickFire Challenge platform seeks out and inspires innovators addressing the greatest unmet medical and healthcare needs of our time. These crowdsourcing competitions are designed to support innovators – including entrepreneurs, researchers, start-up companies, and students - on their quest to advance the next big breakthroughs in science and build the healthcare system of tomorrow. Often in collaboration with pioneering private and public sectors partners, QuickFire Challenges span across the Pharmaceuticals, Consumer Health, Medical Device, and Health Technologies sectors. Awardees receive a variety of rewards, such as grant funding; access to world-class lab facilities, programs, and resources; and mentorship from industry experts.